Wednesday, June 02, 2010

"I Love You Lord"

I love you Lord, and I lift my voice to worship you, Oh my soul, Rejoice! Take joy my King, in what you hear, let it be a sweet, sweet sound in your ear!

This is a song I used to sing in my first grade Sunday school class at First Baptist Church in Rockport, Tx. It was my favorite song out of the children's songbook. It had so much more depth and meaning to it than the other songs in the book; which were, for the most part, jingles about various Bible stories. This pretty little praise song satisfies the answer to the first question in the Westminster Shorter Catechism, that is, "to glorify God and enjoy Him forever". Before I ever heard about any kind of catechism however, I loved this song because it glorified God. First it praised Him through the music that was, to my first grade ears, the most beautiful melody I had ever heard; secondly, through the words themselves, which simply explain the singers love for God and earnest desire to worship Him. Enjoying him is the happiness that filled my heart when I sang this song with a right attitude towards the Lord. Now, fifteen years later, I still sing it aloud to the animals at work and it never fails to lift my spirits.

Below is a link to the Westminster Shorter Catechism in case anyone wants to read the rest of the questions.

http://www.reformed.org/documents/WSC.html

1 comment:

Marks of Faith said...

Love it! That's a great song...thanks for sharing. My son is actually named after one of the Westminster Divines who helped to wright the Westminster Confession of Faith and other documents. We are so blessed to live in an era where we can stand on the shoulders of so many great men of faith.